Men's Newcastle Cardigan

Pattern: Thread Theory's Newcastle Cardigan
Material: light sweater knit (body) and faux leather vinyl (yoke)
Cost: $20

Have you heard about Thread Theory patterns?! If you're into indie patterns and interested in menswear,  then you're about to get pretty excited! Thread Theory Designs is a brand new independent menswear sewing pattern company run by the lovely wife and husband team, Morgan and Matt. That's right: stylish, indie MENSWEAR!

While I've seriously been loving the amazing range of independent pattern companies popping up lately for WOMEN, until now I have struggled to find good patterns for the MEN in my life. I even went so far as to convert the Minoru Jacket into a men's pattern... So, you know I was darn excited when I discovered the Thread Theory site, and I have been eagerly awaiting the release of their patterns. 

Lucky me, this past week I had the opportunity to pattern test their first pattern, the Newcastle Cardigan, a gorgeous sweater with a shawl collar for "men who would like to stay cozy but look stylish."


First off, I love the look of this pattern: it's not too over-designed for a man, but still has stylish elements that make it unique and fun. While I am always a little bit nervous when sewing for others, the fit was great, the pattern worked, and we both love the final result! Especially for us casual west-coasters, I think this sweater is the perfect balance between dressed up and not-trying-too-hard cool.


For my version, I found a very lightweight sweater knit at the local discount fabrics, and I couldn't help but pair it with a faux leather vinyl yoke and wooden buttons for that 'hard and soft' look. The faux leather vinyl does have a bit of a stretch, so it worked perfect. I think this element also dresses up the sweater a little bit for a night out on the town (in a very casual San Francisco sort of way), and he can also wear it to work or dinner. The lightweight fabric makes it great for summer, and we already have plans to sew this up in a heavier fabric for the winter!


While I'm pretty notorious for not following pattern instructions, as a pattern tester I followed everything to the letter and was very pleased with the results! The instructions walk you through all the steps with clear pictures, and they have seriously thought of everything! The facings are nicely sewn down in place, the design of the upper and lower collars folds the seam line out of site, and I had no challenges whatsoever with fit. Bravo, especially for their first pattern!



 Look for the Newcastle Cardigan pattern to be released on May 15th, and a lucky surprise may be coming your way for one of my readers!!!

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for bringing Thread Theory to my attention! Loving their designs and now excited for the pattern release. Your version is fantastic and I'm really liking the mixed textiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a nice pattern! I love the leather details. And your model's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of them! Thanks for letting me know about them.

    The cardigan you made turned out great! I think my husband would like it too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really happy to see a menswear pattern company! I love this shawl cardigan and their peacoat looks amazing. Probably a little too stylish for my husband's taste but maybe I can find something he'll let me sew for him.

    Love that leather yoke! Very nice touch there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of this company - but what a great, modern pattern, and it looks so stylish sewn up! There is seriously so little out there for sewing for men...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome stuff! Totally going to grab this pattern for my man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I want one for me. Not sure if my husband would go for the shawl collar...but maybe I could change that feature up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! The yoke squares off the shoulder, giving the sweater a slight blazer-feel. But it's still casual and comfortable like a sweater! I could totally see this fitting into my husband's beach-casual wardrobe (because he actually works in an office).

    Nice work, and thanks for the tip on the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whoa! really cool. love the faux leather yoke. i'm really intrigued by this new company.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pattern, good to see more menswear in the world : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...